Sunday, August 30, 2009

Parental Advice Needed...

And yes, I did talk to my own mother before posting this. Jason asks me on almost a daily basis if we can pick out nursery furniture. I am so completely undecided on this topic its not even funny. So, to all the parents out there: What is your opinion when it comes to nursery furniture?

1. Do we get a standard drop-side crib (I'm only 5ft. 3) and then transition the child to a twin bed later?

2. Do we get a convertible bed that goes from crib to toddler bed to full size bed (which will not fit in the room, meaning we have to get a twin bed when the toddler bed is too small, or have another child that can then use the crib)?

I have multiple dilemma's on both points. The standard crib seems a waste of money because we have to get a twin bed in maybe 2 years as opposed to maybe 4 years if the child still fits in the toddler bed. The bonus is the drop-side that benefits me in getting mini-me in/out of bed. With the convertible crib, most are not drop side for "safety reasons," and the front height varies from bed to bed, some hitting me below the belly button and others above, which is difficult. The magazines (virtually the only way to get baby furniture in our area) don't specify the front height, unfortunately. Other issues with the convertible bed are, is it really going to last long enough to eventually even be a full size bed or will it be too nasty and beat up by then to want it displayed in the house? What if mini-me decides to gnaw on the rails as my un-named sister did as a baby, leaving the foot board to the future full size bed marred? Either way, do we need solid wood, or is solid wood plus veneers good enough and durable enough to last?

As you can see, I'm pulling my hair out and have way too many options and not enough decisions. There are too many unforeseeables in my decision making process. We read some of the reviews of beds on the internet, but those are people we don't know giving opinions, but how reliable are they and what were their expectations?

Any parental advice is greatly appreciated on the topic. What kind of crib did you get? Solid wood? Convertible? Was it durable? Did it last? Would you have gotten the same thing again? Is your child old enough to convert the bed to full size and was the bed still in any condition to do that?

I'm open to all advice on the topic...

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jason and Kellyn! Lyndsey (Wheatley) McCrory here. Congratulations on the baby! How exciting. As a mom of 2 kiddos I have been in the same dillema. Claire has the convertable bed. Solid wood (highly recommend) and it is now a full size bed in her room. I am also short and it was hard to get her in and out of that crib. The solid wood has made it stay looking almost brand new. She climbed out of her bed at just 1 year old so the toddler bed benefitted us well. Margaret Ann is just 4 months and has a standard drop size crib, solid wood. It is much easier to get her in and out AND her room is way too small for a full size bed so we will have to get a twin. The good thing is you can get bed rails to go on the twin and it is practically the same as a toddler bed. If you are not going to use the full size bed in the baby's room, I recommend a standard crib!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lyndsey...nice to have both sides of the debate in one house!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chose convertible and am very happy with it. I'm 5'3" and I really never had a big issue laying her down in it. When the baby is teeny-tiny, you can raise the mattress up higher. We are just now lowering it since Abbie is doing so well with standing up. Plus the standard crib just did not sound economical to me.

    And if you haven't heard about Michael and his hours of research, let me briefly tell you he will study up on products for days and days, if not months, before picking one, and he chose convertible mainly because there were more recalls on the drop-side cribs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a standard drop size crib and have used it for both girls. It is a white iron crib which was something I really wanted. I am really short 5 feet.. so it has worked great. MG slept in it until she was 4 years old comfortably. No problem at all. It is one that turned into a day bed by taking that drop side off. I just bought a white side rail and that worked great. Then at 4 she went to my double bed that I grew up with and we used the crib/daybed as a little "couch" in her playroom for her dolls and stuffed animals and her too, to sit on. Never thought I would use it as a crib again but now it is working great again for Molly! Your many, fun (seriously) decisions have just begun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for a standard drop side crib (in a neutral color) and then go straight into a twin bed. That way you could get some nice furniture and everything could blend very well. Don't forget how big a full size bed is in a kid size room!

    I just didn't want to make 2 transitions, and Jackson has done amazingly well in his big boy bed. And thanks for bringing up that chewing issue of mine.

    ReplyDelete